Here is your daily dose of Digestible News covering CIA’s release of materials seized in the 2011 Bin Laden raid, Khawaja Asif’s speech, PPP’s lashing out at NAB, and much more!
CIA releases a new chunk of materials seized in the 2011 Bin Laden raid
Digestible News No.1: The United States Central Intelligence Agency on Wednesday released the fourth tranche of materials seized in the 2011 raid on the terrorist organization, Al-Qaeda’s founder Osama bin Laden’s compound in Abbottabad. The release includes hundreds of thousands of new documents, images, and computer files that provide fresh insight into the 9/11 attacks in New York.
CIA Director Mike Pompeo said that Wednesday’s “release of recovered al-Qaeda letters, videos, audio files and other materials provides the opportunity for the American people to gain further insights into the plans and workings of this terrorist organization.”
Foreign Minister assures Senate that Pakistan’s Foreign Policy will be devised keeping guidelines in mind
Digestible News No. 2: A day after the Senate raised hue and cry over United State’s president Donald Trump’s South Asia policy, Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif spoke on the matter and assured them that their concerns had been heard. At the beginning of his speech, Asif acknowledged Trump’s affirmation that relations between the US and Pakistan are progressing. However, Asif emphasized the need for a regional solution to the Afghan problem.
“The entire region has a role to play in the Afghan process, and Pakistan wishes for a regional solution to the security challenges faced by the country,” maintained Asif.
Sindh Assembly: PPP calls out NAB’s “double standards”
Digestible News No. 3: On Wednesday, the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) called out the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in the Sindh Assembly due to the differential treatment of the ousted prime minister Nawaz Sharif and PPP leader Sharjeel Inam Memon. Memon was presented in the Assembly today, prior to being arrested last month. He stated that he was arrested upon arrival in Islamabad regardless of the fact that he had already procured bail.
“NAB officials were waiting for me when the plane landed. I told them I had bail, but they asked me to go with them despite that. First I was made to sit in one car, then in another car. They took me to NAB headquarters,” stated Memon. “They had to leave me when my lawyers came,” he added.
Bangladesh protests video showing “distorted historian facts” about independence
Digestible News No. 4: A video posted on the High Commission’s website stated that Bangladesh’s first president Sheikh Mujeeb ur Rehman had desired self-rule and not independence for Bangladesh, quoted BBC Urdu from a statement issued by the foreign ministry in Dhaka.
On Wednesday, the Bangladesh foreign ministry issued a complaint with the Pakistan High Commissioner Rafiuzzaman Siddiqui claiming that the video “distorted historical facts” about Bangladesh’s independence. Siddiqui has reportedly apologised for the video and removed it from the site.
Foreign Office Spokesperson Nafees Zakaria responded that “Sharing of a video by a third party cannot be attributed to Pakistan High Commission Dhaka.”
Khursheed Shah: decision to put Shahbaz forward as PM candidate is a ‘political one’
Digestible News No. 5: Leader of the Opposition in the National Assembly, Khursheed Shah, stated that Pakistan Muslim League- Nawaz’s (PML-N) decision to put Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif forward as the candidate for the 2018 elections was a “political one”.
The decision was taken following the meeting held in London, presided over by the ousted prime minister Nawaz Sharif. The meeting was attended by top PML-N officials, prime minister Shahid Khaqan Abassi, and federal ministers Ishaq Dar, Khawaja Asif and Ahsan Iqbal.
Islamic State-linked NY attacker became radicalized after moving to the US
Digestible News No. 6: It was revealed on Wednesday that Sayfullo Saipov, the Uzbek immigrant who plowed through pedestrians and cyclists over a mile-long stretch of a bike path on Lower’s Manhattan’s West Side in New York City a day ago was associated with the Islamic State militant group but became radicalized after moving to the United States in 2010.
Eight were reportedly killed and eleven injured in what is being considered the worst terrorist attack since September 2001.
“He’s a depraved coward is what he is, and he was associated with ISIS, and he was radicalized domestically,” New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo told CNN.