Scientists have reported that 2018 is anticipated to be the year of the earthquakes. Due to the movement of the tectonic plates, they believe that the earth will be jolted more frequently.
With 5 months down already in 2018, there is evidence of how this anticipation might be true.
A major earthquake struck the Gulf of Alaska earlier this year with a magnitude of 7.9 on the Richter scale, spread out to 174 miles. It was calculated that just a few hours before this earthquake, another one of a 6.0 magnitude struck in Indonesia. Scientists claim that a phenomenon called “Earth-slowing” will contribute a great deal to the uproar in earthquakes globally.
It was recorded 7 years ago that the pace of the earth’s rotation slowed down than its usual swiftness. This has led to a lot of changes both current wise and atmospherically.
This slowing down of the earth is expected to increase the frequency of earthquakes with a magnitude of at least 7.0.
Pakistan alone has experienced several earthquakes since January 2018. Here are 8 of them that we know of:
- January 28th – An earthquake of the magnitude 6.1 and 191 km in depth struck Quetta, Karachi, Islamabad, Lahore, Peshawar and other surrounding areas. More than 15 people were reportedly injured as a result.
- March 10th – An earthquake with a reading of 3.9 on the Richter scale jolted part of Balochistan. However, no injury or property loss was recorded.
- March 30th – An earthquake of 5.2 intensity was felt in KPKK around midnight. Centered in Afghanistan-Tajikistan border, the quake was reportedly 230km under the surface of the earth.
- April 2nd – The Swat valley experienced a quake centering from Hindu Kush Mountains with a depth of 120 km.
- April 10th – Islamabad, Murree, Swat and surrounding areas experienced earthquake shocks during the evening.
- April 28th – Tremors that measured up to 5.6 on the Richter scale were felt in Swat and surrounding areas.
- May 9th – A trifling earthquake jerked KPK early in the morning causing slight panic amongst the citizens. Its magnitude was reportedly 6.2 on the Richter scale.
- May 10th – An earthquake of 5.3 magnitude was experienced in the Swat Valley.
It is important to be careful and take necessary precautions to protect ourselves and the loved ones. Earthquakes like any other natural disaster cannot be foreseen or controlled. However, the most one can do is be wary of the precautions and be quick on their feet when an earthquake does jolt the country.