Modi faces defeat at the hands of Congress
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has suffered a massive blow in three state elections just months before the Indian national elections.
Here are 5 things you need to know:
1. The Election Commission announced the results on Wednesday, declaring Congress the clear winners in the Chhattisgarh State.
2. While they fell one seat short of a majority in both Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh, the Congress party is set to rule all three states with a regional party offering support.
3. Although the BJP managed to win seats in states that were considered Congress strongholds, they fell short of a majority.
4. The BJP’s fate seems precarious and might force Mr Modi to place himself at the forefront of the campaign as he did in 2014. However, with one slight change: “The difference now is that he is no longer a challenger to the regime. He is the regime,” says the Indian Express.
5. India’s nation elections will take place in April 2019