Labour safety? Suffocation and inhaling poisonous gas caused the death of two laborers at Karachi Port ￼
Two laborers at the Karachi port Trust died of inhaling poisonous gas released from a cargo ship, as the ship carried 62,000 tonnes of soybean. The incident at the Karachi port Trust occurred when the labourers were entering the hatch by mistake, where they died of suffocation. The body of one of the labourers was recovered while the rescue team was attempting to recover the other body from the ship.
The Federal Minister for Maritime Affairs, Faisal Subzwari, tweeted, “The soybean was being retrieved from a ship when the laborers, unfortunately, entered the wrong hatch and died due to unavailability of oxygen and inhaling dust particles.” However, the Karachi Port trust authorities are inquiring into the matter, and the causation of the death.