The Deadliest attack in Recent Years Hits Afghanistan
In one of the deadliest attacks this year, 50 people were killed as a suicide bomber targeted religious celebration in Kabul on Tuesday.
The attack comes after the Afghan government and the US establishment have increased diplomatic efforts to bring an end to the 17-year conflict.
The spokesperson for the health ministry, Wahid Majroh, stated that at least 72 people were injured due to this attack, which targeted a wedding hall with hundreds of people inside. These people had gathered to celebrate the birthday of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), one of the most holiest events in Islamic history.
Religious studies lecturer Mohammad Hanif said verses of the Quran were being recited when there was a deafening explosion followed by “chaos” inside the packed hall.
“More than 60 or 70 people were martyred,” Hanif, 31, told AFP outside a trauma facility run by Italian NGO Emergency. He escaped unhurt.
“They suffered burns, everyone in the halls was screaming for help.”
President Ashraf Ghani stated that the attack was an “unforgivable crime” as he declared Wednesday a national day of mourning for the victims of the attack.
A manager of the multi-storey Uranus Wedding Palace, which also hosts political and religious functions, told AFP the suicide bomber blew himself up in the middle of the gathering of around 1,000 people.
“There are a lot of casualties — I myself have counted 30 casualties,” he told media sources on condition of anonymity.
33 wounded and 7 dead had been taken to the aid organisation Emergency’s hospital, confirmed the organisation through its Twitter.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast, but the Islamic State group has claimed most recent suicide attacks in Kabul, which has become the most dangerous place in the country for civilians.
The Taliban condemned the attack in a WhatsApp message.